Usability and Navigation are main components to a sites success. If the writing is good but the usability of the site, like links and search engines, are not working or present then the site will not do as well. The use and navigation of a site is what brings readers in and makes them stay.
When writing for Web Based Media, a major thing to remember is to keep the writing scan-able. Readers should be able to process and understand your main points quickly. Scanners need clues, signposts and highlights, so content should be shaped for scanning. 
Writers for Web Based Media should use the inverted pyramid style writing. This means that the most important information comes first and then trickles down to the details to back up the important information.
- Ease of learning - How fast can a user who has never seen the user interface before learn it sufficiently well to accomplish basic tasks?
- Efficiency of use - Once an experienced user has learned to use the system, how fast can he or she accomplish tasks?
- Memorability - If a user has used the system before, can he or she remember enough to use it effectively the next time or does the user have to start over again learning everything?
- Error frequency and severity - How often do users make errors while using the system, how serious are these errors, and how do users recover from these errors?
- Subjective satisfaction - How much does the user like using the system?
Navigation within your site or post leads to higher following and more consistent readership. If you add a search engine into your site, then you are allowing your readers higher access to information which adds to the consistency and focus of your site.
The reason writers for web based media should provide links:
- Link to another article or site are to provide attribution - use as references in case your reader has no idea what you are talking about
- Provide context for your article - allows reader to expand knowledge and provides higher site following
- Give readers extras - readers can do further research on their own time
Remaining consistent in focus and posts allows readers to better understand and return to your writings. When writing a post, redundancy is key. Repeating yourself and going back to main points allows readers to remain focused and remember what you are writing about in the first place.