This is currently a working bibliography. Please be consistent; when in doubt, follow the format of what is already posted. All print resources should use MLA Documentation Style.
- The Federal Trade Commission- Credit and Your Consumer Rights
- Jim Garven’s Blog — A blog exploring the intersection of risk management, insurance, and finance.
Credit Reporting Agencies
View your credit report.
- TransUnion - Credit reporting agency
- Equifax - Credit reporting agency
- Experian - Credit reporting agency
PBS Frontline Report
- Secret History of the Credit Card - This report aired 11/23/04 on PBS and gives an inside look at the history of the credit card. The website gives tips for credit card holders and offers help on reading "the credit card contract." Highly recommended for everyone with a credit card.
- Better Business Bureau - This website will allow the opportunity to research more reliable debt relief agencies.
- FICO Score - Find out what a FICO score means to you.
- Attorney General - Contact your state's Attorney General office.
- American Collector's Association - Find out more about what the American Collector's Association can do to help you.
- Consumer Credit Counseling - A reliable non-profit debt relief agency.
- Find out your state law on debt - Click on "State laws governing debt collection."
- Debt Attack - Extensive information on good and bad debt and ways to get out of debt.
- Family Credit-- A non-profit, faith-based approach to managing debt.
- Debt Steps — Comprehensive reviews to help you protect your financial future.
- Managing Debt — Learn what debt means for your overall financial situation and how you can control debt, and avoid it controlling you.
- Credit Repair: Self-Help May Be Best — Only time, a conscious effort, and a personal debt repayment plan will improve your credit report.
- Debt Consolidation Help- Consolidate your debt into one payment.
- Controlling Debt - CNN and Money Magazine breaks down the top things to know about debt.
- Good debt vs. bad - USA Weekend Magazine establishes some borrowing guidelines to avoid bad debt.
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring Debt - Gives advice on the advantages and disadvantages of bankrutcy and restructuring debt.
- Settling Debts - Learn ways to settle debts including dealing with creditors.
- Student Loans - Find info on student loans from different types to advice on when you default on your loan.
- A Better Credit Record-Gives information on consumer reporting agencies, ways of improving and dealing with debt, and avoiding scams from agencies who provide help in solving debt.
- Managing Your Debts: How to Regain Financial Health-Provides you with some remedies for your relationships with creditors, reducing your debts, and helping you manage your money.
- Credit Counseling-Provides you with information on credit counseling.
- Debt consolidation loans-Provides you with information on debt consolidation.
- Choosing a credit counselor-This site gives advise on choosing a credit counselor.
- Reducing Credit Card Debt and Debt Consolidation-This site explains that there is always a way to become debt free, no matter what the circumstances are.
- Bayesian Updating of Simulated Household Travel Survey Data for Small/Medium Metropolitan Areas-Used to help construct survey validation.
- Statistics on debt and its results
- Anonymous. "Graduates learn a lesson in debt management." Credit Management (May 2003): 12.
- Oglivie, Donald G. "A view of the economy." The Kansas Banker 89.1 (Jan 1999): 20.
- Mapother, William R. "Taming Consumer Debt." Credit Union Magazine 70.4 (Apr 2004): 72.
- Anonymous. " 7 Debt - counseling warning signs." Essence. 34.6 (Oct 2003): 120.
- Anonymous. "All change at CCM." Credit Management (May 2003): 21.
- Anderson, John H. "An introduction to bankruptcy." (Apr 2003): 27.
- Allen, Mary and Chantal Vaillancourt. “Class of 2000: Student Loans.” Canadian Social Trends 74 (2004): 18.
- Anonymous. "7 Debt - Counseling warning signs." "Essence" 34.6 (oct 2003): 120.
- Brown, Monique R. "Debt Dilemma." Black Enterprise 31.11 (Jun 2001): 326.
- Goldwasser, Joan; Lankford, Kimberly. "Where To Go For Help." Kiplinger's Personal Finance 55.11 (Nov 2001): 77.
- Hynes, Richard M. "Overoptimism and Overborrowing." Bringham Young University Law Review2004.1 (2004): 127.
- Kuykendall, Lavone. "Sallie Mae Gets Into Business Of Buting Bad Debt." American Banker (Sep 2004): Vol 169. pg 17.
- Lee, Karl. " Secured Credit Lines." The Shooting Industry 48.10 (Oct 2003): 15.
- Lim, Paul J. "How to improve your credit profile." U.S. News & World Report 6/17/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 21, p42.
- McClannahan, Rory. "Simple Steps can curb debt, New Mexico Expert says." Knight Ridder Tribune Business News (Jun 2004): 1.
- Morris, Valerie. "Should You Consider Debt Consolidation." Essence 33.11 (Mar 2003): 103
- Rowland, Mary. "Good Credit gone Bad?" NEA Today 16.5 (Jan 1998): 38.
- Ryan, Mike. "Qualifying Your Collection Agency: Ask the Right Questions." Business Credit Sep2004, Vol. 106 Issue 8, p65, 2p.
- Sandberg, Erica. "The Value of Financial Planning and Debt Reduction Services for Employees and Employers." Employee Benefits Journal 27.4 (2002): 37.
- Scott, Matthew S. "Q & A: What about debt management?" Black Enterprise (Aug 2004): 44.
- Vogt, Katherine. "Climbing Out Of Debt." American Medical News (Feb 2004): Vol 47. pg 13.
- Stav, Julie. "Scoring Good Credit." Hispanic (Nov 2004): Vol 17. pg 42.
- Young, Gary. "Does the 'Fourth Option' Exist." National Law Journal (Jun 2004): Vol 26. pg 15.
- "Coming To Terms" NEA Today 16.5 (Jan 1998): 38.
- McNaughton, Debra. All About Credit. Chicago: Dearborn, 1999.
- Hammond, Bob. "Life Without Debt." New Jersey: Career Press, 1995.
- Leonard, Attorney Robin. "Bankruptcy." Berkley: Nolo Press, 1998.
- Fisher, Sarah Young. "The Complete Idiots Guide To Personal Finance In Your 20's and 30's." Indianapolis: Alpha Books, 2002.
- Heady, Robert. "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Your Money." New York: Alpha Books, 1999.
- Cressy, Robert C. "Debt rescheduling versus bankruptcy: The creditor's decision problem." Journal of Business Finance & Accounting; Oct96, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p1141, 16p
- Hynes, Richard M. "Overoptimism and Overborrowing" Brigham Young University Law Review; 2004, Vol. 2004 Issue 1, p127, 42p