Résumé Evaluation Questions
- What seems to be this applicant’s interests? Are they obvious by the résumé?
- What are the applicant’s specific qualifications? Are they obvious? Are the most impressive listed first?
- What are the applicant’s weaknesses? Are these de-emphasized?
- How many headings does the applicant use? Are all needed or could s/he consolidate?
- Is the main heading clear? Is there any information missing? Is there too much information?
- What type of résumé (chronological, functional, or combination) is the applicant using? Is it the best choice for his/her qulaifications and experience? Would another be a better choice?
- Is the résumé targeting a specific job? Does the objective make that clear? Is the objective needed, or would an objective work better in a cover letter (which is generally the case)?
- Is work experience germane to the position? Does it include:
- Employer’s name, city, state;
- Dates of employment;
- Most important job title;
- Significant duties, activities, accomplishments, promotions?
- Are employment achievements and descriptions specific and succinct?
- Is evidence of teamwork apparent?
- Are special skills and exceptional aptitudes listed or emphasized? Do they need their own section?
- Does résumé use action verbs applicable to the specific job?
- Are all contents logically and consistantly organized?
- Are awards, honors, and activities included? Are all self-explanatory or explained?
- Anything included that could be questionable? Anything that is out-of-place?
- Is there any information that is unclear? Is it explained in the cover letter?
- Is good quality paper used? Does it match the cover letter’s?
- Does main heading stand out from the rest?
- Are fonts varied and used consistantly — bold for headers, italics for emphasis, etc.?
- Is CRAP considered in the design?
- Is white space used effectively?
- Does the design pass the “blurred-eye” test?