Cover Letter Evaluation Questions
- Does the cover letter introduce the résumé?
- Does it highlight applicant’s strengths?
- Does it attempt to gain an interview?
- Does the opening gain attention? How? Does it address the reader by name?
- Is the letter solicited or unsolicited? How is this evident?
- Is the tone confident without being arrogant?
- Is there redundancy between the letter and the résumé? Does the letter explain the résumé rather than just repeat it?
- How does the letter stress what the applicant can do for the company? Does the body emphasize reader benefits?
- Does discussion of qualifications address a particular job?
- Are relevant personal traits discussed, like teamwork, responsibility, initiative?
- Does the letter's close motivate action by asking for an interview — not by asking for a job?
- Is contact information and time given?
- How many sentences begin with an “I”? Can these be cut down to emphasize the reader?
- Is block style correct?
- Does the paper match the résumé’s?
- Does the letter use a personally designed letterhead? Is it a Word template? Is it professional, not over-the-top?
- Is white space used effectively?
- Does the design pass the “blurred-eye” test?